I got a chance to pull my heels out of the dark recesses of the cupboard this week as I was asked to come in to work for three days. I took them up on two of them and really enjoyed it.
My first lesson was a rude awakening to using a part of my brain I don't recall ever using. I had to accompany a student to a lesson in GCSE (Yr 11) Maths and then GCSE Physics on our mainstream campus. As the student was fairly oral I didn't have to sign for her during the lesson but instead found myself 'helping' her with the coursework. I failed Maths with flying colours in high school and have a feeling that I achieved a similar result in Science so I am a little disturbed thinking about what influence I may have had on her work.
Returning to work after having Nate has been a topic of much internal debate as I have had to realign my thinking on how I value myself. It is only in recent months that I have been able to totally enjoy my new 'job' looking after Nate and have decided not to chase work but to take it up when it is available and only when it means using BSL. I will definitely have more opportunities at my previous work to go back from time to time and am looking into some other casual work that will mean I can keep my hand in while still concentrating on Nate. This week was a good trial of things to come. Being the product of two fiercely independent parents, and being raised to be so himself, Nate is incredibly confident and independent so I had no trouble leaving him with a friend.
Woz, on the other hand is still loving his job and enjoying the benefits of next to no travel time and flexible working hours. Today he's slogging it out on a team building day, playing paint ball. Poor thing.
14 years ago
1 comment:
There is genuine hardship associated with paintball. Woz may well incur bruises unless he can run fast and hide well...
Post a Comment