Friday, July 18, 2008

in days gone by

Over the history of this blog I have made a conscious decision to make all posts observational and to steer clear of local or international politics or religious issues. Of course I hold opinions relating to religious and political issues, in many ways they shape who I am and affect the way I view the world, but I write on behalf of not just myself but Woz, and now Nate too. On top of that it has not been my intention that this blog be used as a soapbox, but as a way for our family and friends to keep up with our day to day life and to feel some inclusion in it.

But now, with the impending move to Libya taking centre stage it seems that avoiding politics is impossible, particularly as our friends and family voice their concern for our welfare given the country we have chosen to live in.

The number one question people ask us when we tell them of our move to Libya is 'Is it safe?' and I have to admit, that was my first question too (right after 'Are you serious?!'). We've been talking about Libya for about 3 or 4 months now and during that time we have researched the political situation in Libya, (therefore our own personal safety), as heavily as we've been able to. There's not a great deal on the internet and not too many people have actually travelled or lived there that we have come in contact with. The Lonely Planet guide has really been our greatest resource as it seems to present a frank view of the history of Libya without sensationalising it. We all know, Libya has had a colourful history but it does seem that it is well behind them with Tripoli taking many steps to disassociate itself from its terrorist past and the US lifting its sanctions and restoring full diplomatic relations with Libya as a result.

I hope in the future to continue to write about our time in Tripoli in the same manner as I have in London, reserving political issues for private conversation and merely commenting on our day to day life. Time will tell whether that is possible.

1 comment:

clairzy said...

I am ever so proud of you!

My parents instilled an appetite for adventure deep down in my soul just hearing about the things they did and the places they went before I was even born. I don't think I would be sitting here in Papua New Guinea, being blown away by the kindness of another culture and the complete uniqueness of this place if it weren't for my parents influence.

Nate probably won't remember much of his time in Lybia, but I believe it will change him for the rest of his life - for good.

Love you guys xxx