Well it's been a long time since I've been in this situation. I am sitting camped outside the kitchen door with eyes peering in to ensure that the HUGE HAIRY HUNTSMAN-LIKE SPIDER that I just discovered on a dinner plate doesn't escape. All I can say is that I'm thankful I've not seen one of these until a few weeks before we leave the country because I can safely say I would have packed my bags much earlier (but certainly not to Australia where Huntsmen are a plenty).
There is no denying I have arachnophobia. I once camped out in the toilet of a friend's house because a huntsman was perched on the door inside, close to the handle. We'd finished dinner and I'd gone to the toilet, moments later discovering the huntsman, however I was trapped in the teeny tiny room with only the spider to hear my cries. It was quite some time before they came to rescue me which involved much convincing on their part in stopping me from jumping out the toilet window which was two stories up, instead intervening in the situation by spraying insecticide around the door, their argument being that the huntsman would 'run towards the spray'. Why in my vulnerable state I believed this I will never know, but let me tell you they don't run towards, they run away, and they jump, in the direction of the petrified woman standing on the toilet screaming. It wasn't pretty. Let me just say I am indebted to Tracey for life who allowed the huntsman to run all over her feet while I leaped off the toilet and out of the house in sheer terror.
Growing up in rural Australia has given me a whole host of spider stories, each one more terrifying than the next and most of which I would love to be able to forget - being trapped in a tent in the middle of a forest with teenage boys throwing huntsman all over the mesh is just another that springs to mind. I still get nightmares.
So, now, I find myself in the same position and what is perhaps more disturbing is that at 31 years of age I have called my husband, who is now on his way home from work to rescue me, while I sit frozen on a chair outside the door. I think this is why I said 'I do'.
14 years ago
12 comments:
Where are the photos? We want photos! Or did you also remember the huntsman on the camera case incident and decide that the camera was best left in a secure place?
I couldn't agree with you more, they are the most horrible things.
What I am wondering is where is Nate, I recall my biggest task was trying to keep Warren from playing with them.
Love Fiona
Your response seems completely reasonable to me! Although completely calm about far more dangerous white-tails etc, etc, I too find huntsmen particularly sinister. Any spider that jumps cannot be trusted. Hope it did not take you too long to defrost after your wait on the doorstep. (Remember Woz agreed to "for better and for worse".)xx
Reminds me of the time in Melbourne that I drove a work mate in my car to a restaurant for lunch. On the way, a Huntsman climbed out of the airvent right in front of her. She lept out of the seat, opened the car door (while we were moving) and threatened to jump out into 3 or 4 lanes of traffic moving at speed! I literally had to hold her in the car by the wrist until we pulled up outside the restaurant.
NOW had it been a SNAKE I would have understood, but a tiny wee hairy thing like a Huntsman? Come on!
There's no way you would have been able to hold my wrist. If I couldn't have wriggled free I'd have bitten you on the arm myself!
My phobia is such that I would rather be caught in a car with a snake!
An update on the spider incident ...
Thankfully Nate was asleep when I discovered it, having popped into the kitchen to make myself some lunch. He stayed asleep (and I perched on my chair) until Woz came home to find the spider crouching next to the microwave, stunned by my attack of air freshener.
My hero then proceeded to slay the spider and slowly but surely lulled me back into (what I see is now is a false) sense of security. Then off he galloped on his horse for an afternoon meeting, leaving his damsel in considerably less distress than before.
Oooo... I can totally identify! I shudder to think of how many times I was leading in a waggon at the Ranch and I had to pretend to be 'cool, calm and collected' so my Ranchers didn't go nuts when there were huntsmans in our waggon. I'd always have to go over to the caravan where the male staff were so they could come and 'rescue' us! But these days husbands come in pretty handy, I'd agree..
I believe the car and snake combination has already been done in your family! I refer to Ben's blog some time ago!!! xx
I can't believe that the spider incident has elicited so many comments! In defence of the huntsman, through no fault of it's own (no I don't believe in reincarnation), it was born ugly and has to live on a diet of flies and other revolting creatures. On top of all that, it has to live with the thought that at any time it could end it's days squished under the sole of someone's shoe. Maybe I should have let you keep one as a pet when you were a little tacker. The trouble is, to be honest, I am really not that fond of them at close proximity.
Em, I think I've found the solution! :)
www.hypnotherapyforlondon.co.uk/hypnosis_for_fear_of_spiders
Em, I remember seeing some horrible spiders in the UK too... it's a complete myth that the UK don't have horrid spiders!!!! I sympathise.. I just have to see one and I start crying and shaking... and yes, I'm 32 years old..
Kaz, why didn't you warn me?! Actually, probably best you didn't ... I may never have come.
Post a Comment